Saturday, January 16, 2010

Earthquake... Haiti and more!

So for the past few days I have been glued to CNN. (even when I am at the gym) and the earthquake coverage in Haiti.

I have a few things I want to share and say about this.

Back in October of 2006 Chris and I went to The Big Island for my birthday. It was a surprise trip for me, from Chris and my mother in law and father in law. We stayed in this beautiful home/community (very similar to where we live on Maui.) Chris was really into fishing and I was really into trying for the baby that we wanted to have. (Carl came perfectly 9 1/2 months later.) Well we got there on a Friday and left on a Sunday. Sunday morning we slept till 7:20 and were woken up by an Earthquake.I grew up in San Diego so I have had my share of earthquakes. But this one was weird... I mean come on! we were in the middle of the fricken ocean. We were on VACATION... We live in Hawaii! It was a big one. (for Hawaii) 5.7. Followed by a 5.2 15 min later. (my California fire drills kicked in... so did the profanity)

The thing about Hawaii, which most people don't know, is it is the FARTHEST Island from any Mainland in the entire world. The Entire WORLD... Think about that for a second... now go look at your maps. It take at least 5 1/2 hours by plane. And did you know San Francisco is the closest city to the Islands... anyway besides the point. Back to the earthquake.

Communication was spotty, I was able to call my mom, but the connection was bad, and everytime there was an aftershock I wanted to call her but it was spotty. The airports were shutting down, the power was out in Honolulu. And we were 14 miles from the epicenter. This if after the big aftershock... See the dirt spewing into the ocean... this was a HUGE rock slide... and all the houses around were full of windows. In our condo, everything was shaken open. People were rushing to the hills. Crazy I tell you.



After all that we ended up getting home, after lost luggage, no food, Lucky we even got gas, back up toilets, rental car disputes, TSA pat downs, shortage of cash... and no AC! Can you believe it... I was LUCKY! I can't even imagine what its like in Haiti. I did my $10 donation, and I have put in a lot of time at the red cross in my life. And wish I can donate blood.

But someone needs your help. I have been in the blogworld for awile now. Only for family, but Im branching out. Please read this blog... The Howertons
I have been follwing her since Tuesday... and am touched. Please help!!! I am!

Please tell me your earthquake stories, and if you are helping! Aloha!

No comments: